Eine Beraterin berät eine internationale Studierende.
© Ivory Productions
  • Ways to the HSWT

International students

Not only prospective students from Germany, but also from Europe or other countries start their careers in the green life sciences at HSWT. This is how it works!

We support prospective students from abroad

You have acquired your higher education entrance qualification or your first degree abroad and would like to complete a full course of study at the University of Applied Sciences Weihenstephan-Triesdorf?

Then you should check whether the following documents are necessary for your application:

  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of English language skills
  • Certificate check by uni-assist: Preliminary examination documentation - VPD
  • Certificate check by the Akademische Prüfstelle - APS, a joint institution of the German Embassy and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), (for applicants from India, the People's Republic of China or Vietnam)

You should also inform yourself about the following points:

  • Entry requirements & Visa
  • Proof of funding
  • Scholarships
  • Finding accommodation

Proof of German language skills

For our degree programmes in German, you must prove that you have completed at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Proof of English language skills

For the application to some of our Master's programmes in English, you need an official English certificate. You can find information about this on our general application page.

Certificate check by uni-assist: Pre-check documentation (VPD)

In the course of your application, it must be checked whether your foreign certificates entitle you to study in Germany.

This check is carried out by uni-assist as part of a pre-verification documentation (VPD) for:

How do I know if I am eligible to study in Germany?

If you would like to check whether you are eligible to study in Germany before submitting your VPD application, you can do this with the uni-assist university access check or in more detail in the anabin database of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs

Information on the Certificate Examination

Certificate examination by the Academic Evaluation Service (APS)

Applicants from India, the People's Republic of China or Vietnam must have their higher education entrance qualification and academic performance certificates/credentials checked and recognised by an Academic Evaluation Service (APS) in their home country. For the application for the winter semester 2023/24, Indian applicants who already reside in Germany can submit a registration certificate from the Residents' Registration Office (not older than 3 months) instead of the APS.

After the verification by the APS, you will receive a certificate stating your average grade. Please upload the APS certificate both when applying for the VPD at uni-assist and in your online application in our applicant portal.

You will receive detailed information about the procedure from the APS responsible for you:

Entry requirements & Visa

International students from an EU or EEA country or Switzerland only need a valid identity document to enter Germany. If you come from a different country of origin, you should check on the website of the Federal Foreign Office whether you need a visa.

Proof of funding for your HSWT studies

When applying for a visa or a residence permit, you must prove that you can finance your stay in Germany. To do so, you need at least 934 €/month or 11,208 €/year.

There are several ways to prove that you have sufficient funds:

  • Paying the amount of money into a blocked account
    During your stay in Germany, you can have a maximum of 934 € paid out from this account to another bank account every month.
  • Submission of a declaration of commitment in accordance with §68 AufenthG
    Someone who is a resident in Germany officially undertakes to bear the costs of your stay.
  • Submission of proof of income & assets from your parents
  • Bank guarantee from a financial institution in Germany
  • Scholarship from a scholarship provider recognised in Germany

It's best to find out directly from a German mission abroad or the foreigners' registration office responsible for your place of residence which of these documents are recognised there.

Scholarships for students with international degrees

International prospective students and students can apply for a scholarship from numerous organisations. However, full scholarships are rather an exception in Germany. Various databases help to find suitable scholarships:

You can also apply directly to the University of Applied Sciences Weihenstephan-Triesdorf for some scholarships once you have started your studies:

  • Targeted support for international students is possible within the framework of the programme "Internationalisation of Universities" of the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts.
  • Foreign students can also apply for a Germany Scholarship.
  • A one-time grant for books and learning materials can be applied for from the Oskar Karl Forster Scholarship Fund.
  • Our University of Applied Sciences can also award scholarships from the DAAD's STIBET I programme to support early graduation and provide targeted support for particularly committed foreign students. The departments suggest students worthy of support to the selection committee.

Flat hunting

As an international student you will



University of Applied Sciences Weihenstephan-Triesdorf
International Office, Funding and Career Service (IFC)
Building C4
Weihenstephaner Berg 5
85354 Freising