Mid of October 2020 the IMLA team organised an excursion in Germany with insights into current landscape architecture projects and urban developments in the cities of Stuttgart, Düsseldorf, Essen, Duisburg and Ingolstadt for the IMLA students in the current second semester.
Due to the Corona virus situation there needed to be many restrictions and of course a hygienic concept. Nevertheless, the group of international students was really happy to get the possibility for such an excursion in the currently mainly online organised semester.
The following projects were visited:
- Stuttgart: Green U (Höhenpark Killesberg, Park Grüne Fuge, Killesbergturm, ...), Weissenhofsiedlung
- Düsseldorf: Current changes in the city centre with a special focus on the Kö-Bogen area, Rhine bank promenade, Blaugrüner Ring (competition), Medienhafen
- Essen: University Park / Grüne Mitte Essen, RS1 Radschnellweg Ruhr (bicycle expressway), Zeche Zollverein
- Duisburg: Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord
- Ingolstadt: Landesgartenschau (regional garden show) area
The excursion was financially supported by the programme 'Förderung des Studienerfolgs ausländischer Vollstudierender' of the Bavarian State Ministry of Science.
With regard to the Main Project II task of the current winter term students had the possibility to choose between two alternative themes:
- The Port Island of the Future: Art-driven revitalisation of the local cityscape Gdańsk, Poland (International students’ competition) or
- Along the RRX railway line: Lost space or 'Social Sculpture'? in Düsseldorf, Germany
In Düsseldorf, participants of the RRX railway line task had the chance to visit the project area together with their supervisors and local experts during the excursion.