Claim Hochschule Weihenstephan-Triesdorf - University of Applied Sciences

Frequently asked questions

Show all
Hide all
  • When do I have to do a language test?

    You should do a language test if:

    • ... You would like to attend a language course in the coming semester and would like to know which course is right for you.
    • ... You need obligatory proof of your language skills to be placed in the right course.
    • ... You would like to be able to better assess your language skills.
    • ... You would like to obtain the university UNIcert® certificate and need to be graded for this.
    • How do I know which level is suitable for me?

      The Language Centre offers all students a comprehensive range of placement tests, which take place twice a semester and allow students to be placed in classes efficiently and thus find out their level.

    • Can the language tests be repeated?

      You can take both the online placement test and the general language test twice a semester. This is ideal if you have attended a language course and thereby improved your language skills or if you need a certificate from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for a work placement abroad or as proof of your skills in application documents.

    • How long are the language tests valid for?

      We generally recognise the results of the general language test and the online placement test for around two years. If you would like to attend a UNIcert® course and you took the placement test more than two years ago, please contact the staff at the Language Centre. You may need to take the test again so that we can assess your current level.

    • What is UNIcert®?

      UNIcert® is a programme available at universities that develops, assesses and certifies general and technical foreign language skills.
      The Language Centre at HSWT is accredited for English, French, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
      UNIcert® offers you the opportunity to obtain a certificate by attending several successive courses, although you can also attend individual courses. Students are placed in UNIcert® courses by means of placement tests, which take place twice a semester.
      More information on our UNIcert® courses can be found here.

    • How much does it cost to attend language courses?

      Students are able to attend all courses at the Weihenstephan and Triesdorf Language Centre free of charge.

    • Who teaches the language courses?

      Language lessons are taught by a team of 7 special lecturers and around 25 part-time lecturers at both the Weihenstephan and Triesdorf campuses.

      Our team

    • How/when does enrolment in language courses take place?

      Students enrol in language courses on Student.Online. Students can enrol from the first day of the semester. You have around two weeks to register.
      Courses that start later on in the semester tend to have a longer registration period. Information can be found on Student.Online.
      If you have registered for a course that you cannot attend, please withdraw from the course (Student.Online). This enables us to determine the correct number of students and potentially admit students on the waiting list.

    • Where can I register for a course online?

    • Who can register at the Language Centre online?

      All Bachelor’s students can register online at Student.Online.

      Master’s students must register with the Language Centre by Email.

    • How do I find the Moodle course for my language course?

    • How can I register for the exam?

      If you register for a course on Student.Online you are automatically registered for the exam.

    • What should I do if the course I wish to attend is full?

      Please still register for the course and come to the first class. Not all students who register for a course attend. There is therefore a good chance that you can attend the course.

    • What happens if I don’t come to the first class?

      As we have a minimum attendance requirement of 75%, you can usually only miss two classes in courses that take place during the semester (two hours per week). If you are taking intensive courses that take place six hours a day over five days, you can miss a maximum of one day.

      If you miss the first class without good reason, your place may be given to someone on the waiting list. In any case, however, you will log one day of absence.

    • How often can I miss a class?

      As we have a minimum attendance requirement of 75%, you can usually miss a maximum of two classes in courses that take place during the semester (two hours per week). If you are taking intensive courses that take place six hours a day over five days, you can miss a maximum of one day.

    • What do the letters and numbers (e.g. A2, B1) in the course descriptions mean?

      The letters and numbers in the course descriptions refer to the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)”, which outlines comparable knowledge and skill levels for numerous European languages. Reading through the descriptions of the different levels and the skills attributed to these on the corresponding Europass web pages should enable you to better assess your current language skills.

      Please note: The information in your school report relating to the CEFR only serves as a guide, as this generally refers to the school year as a whole and does not directly include the grades that you received. The results of our general language test may thus be significantly different.

    • Which language courses are recognised for me and how?

      In Student.Online, the course registration shows which type of recognition is provided in accordance with the SPO of your degree programme. The version of the SPO that applies to you can be found in the status request on Student.Online.
      All of our language courses tend to be recognised as general academic elective modules or compulsory elective modules. As the number of language courses to be attended and the type of recognition vary from degree programme to degree programme, you should contact the Examinations Office if anything is unclear to find out definitive information.