Claim Hochschule Weihenstephan-Triesdorf - University of Applied Sciences

Costs and financing your study trip

Costs of studying and living

At present, the following costs arise per semester for studying at Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences:

  • At the Weihenstephan campus: Semester fee of € 144,40 (from the 2021 summer semester), consisting of € 75 student union fee and € 69,40 solidarity contribution for the semester ticket (student transport pass)
  • At the Triesdorf campus: Student union fee amounting to € 52

Tuition fees are only charged to students from non-EU countries in the International Master of Landscape Architecture (IMLA) programme at HSWT. They pay EUR 750 per semester.

How much money students additionally require depends on the place of residence and individual lifestyle. According to a Social Survey carried out by the German National Association for Student Affairs (Deutsches Studentenwerk) in 2016, students in Germany spend on average € 819 each month on rent, clothing, food, health insurance, school supplies, travel and leisure activities.

Bild: Sparschwein
Bild: Studentenjob

Proof of financial means of support

When you apply for a visa or residence permit, you will need to prove that you can afford to study and live in Germany. That is deemed proven if you have at least EUR 861/month or EUR 10,332/year available.

There are several ways to prove you have the financial resources:

  • Deposit the amount into a blocked account ("Sperrkonto")
  • Submit a declaration of commitment in accordance with § 68 AufenthG [German Residence Act]; i.e. somebody resident in Germany makes an obligation towards the Immigration Office to bear your living expenses
  • Provide proof of your parents’ income and assets
  • Obtain a bank guarantee from a bank in Germany
  • Obtain a scholarship from a recognised scholarship provider

Please find out what you need in good time from the relevant German embassy or consulate or the Immigration Office for your place of residence, because the applicable regulations may differ.

Blocked account ("Sperrkonto")

A blocked account is a special type of account which is not freely accessible to the account holder. The credit in this account is intended to cover all the costs of your stay in Germany. The law therefore stipulates a minimum amount to be paid into the blocked account: This currently stands at EUR 861 for each month of your stay in Germany or for each month of validity of your visa/residence permit.

Once you have arrived in Germany, you can withdraw a maximum of EUR 861 from the account per month, unless you paid in more than the minimum requirement.

To top


Students from EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

International students from the EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland may hold part-time jobs of up to 20 hours per week during the semester (the lecture period). The 20-hour limit can be exceeded in some exceptional cases, such as when you only work on weekends or at night.

Students from other countries

Students from other countries are permitted to work outside university for a maximum of 120 full days or 240 half days per year during their stay in Germany. Working days on which more than 4 hours are worked are considered as full days. Any further employment must be authorized by the aliens’ registration office (Ausländeramt).

This restriction does not apply to part-time student work at the university or related to the university (for instance, work as a research assistant or for the students’ union). Approval from the aliens’ registration office is also not required for mandatory internships that are a prescribed component of your degree programme in Germany. The standard 120 approval-free working days available to students can be used in addition to and independently of the internship.

Please also take account of the information specified in your residence permit and contact the relevant immigration office if you have any concerns.

To top


International students can apply for scholarships from a number of organisations.

There are various databases to help you find suitable scholarships:


For some scholarships you can apply directly to the Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences.

For example, there is limited support available as part of the Internationalisation of Universities (Internationalisierung der Hochschulen) programme of the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts. You can also apply for support through the Germany Scholarship (Deutschlandstipendium) or a one-off grant for books and learning resources from the Oskar Karl Forster Scholarship fund.

Our university may also award scholarships from DAAD’s STIBET I programme to assist with an imminent graduation and provide targeted support to particularly engaged foreign students. The departments recommend students deemed eligible for funding to the selection committee.

To top


Degree students

Exchange students

Graduates of German schools abroad and partner schools who begin studying in Bavaria can apply for a scholarship from BayBIDS (Bayerische BetreuungsInitiative Deutsche Auslands- und PartnerSchulen, Bavarian support initiative for German schools abroad and partner schools).